Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Easter Celebration

During this last Easter, several Churches joined together for a huge Easter Sunday Celebration.  There were over 100,000 people in attendance and at least a few hundred workers and organizers.  The celebration lasted for over 3 hours and with most Church celebrations here in Korea, there were more than a few sermons.  :-P

I think the most awesome aspect of the day was the emphasis on helping the poor and the sick abroad.  Korea is one of the highest missionary sending nations in the world.  Several of the bigger churches here not only build churches in Africa and in other parts of the world, but they also build schools and hospitals.  Sound familiar?  Well, it used to anyway, that’s exactly what churches in America used to do a lot of, and thankfully, some of it still happens today. :-)

I did not attend the celebration as the entire thing was only in Korean.  The pictures that I took and have posted below are from the day before during the afternoon practice time.  Some of the music and singers were amazing and the video that they played was heart moving.  Even though I couldn’t understand what was being said I didn’t have to, the pictures and music spoke for themselves.  Besides, many of the Christian songs sang here are the same as in N. America and I’m sure everywhere else in the world.  If you know the music you know what is being sung.  My friends filled in the rest of the information as I talked to them about what happened on that Sunday.

The even was held at the Olympic Stadium built when Seoul hosted the Summer Olympics in the early 80’s.  As such, I tried to get some pics of this historical site as well.  It’s not often that I get to take pictures of Olympic stadiums now is it. :-)  I hope you enjoy the pics and it provides a small glimpse into the culture of Korea.

Me

1 Comments:

At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the pics. The one with the banner was just about impossible. I stood there for at least 15 mins trying to get one without the wind but no avail. I'm just glad I got a somewhat useable shot. :-)

Frank my Man!!! Glad to hear from you. I didn't know you were checkin out my blog. :-) I went to yours but I need more time. I will leave a comment there as well.

:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home